K A N K O U R A N
West African Dance Company
33rd ANNUAL NATIONAL CONFERENCE AND CONCERT
September 2 – 4, 2016
For over 30 years Assane Konte, co-founder and Artistic Director of KanKouran West African Dance Company, has staged authentic glimpses of the peoples and cultures of Africa. KanKouran’s annual African dance and drum conference offers attendees a chance to experience the sights and sounds of West Africa. Hundreds of participants from across the country visited the nation’s capitol to partake in three days of intense workshops in traditional African dance and drum, taught by master dancers and drummers from Mali, Senegal, and Guinea.
Registration & Fees (link)
Conference Schedule (link)
Hotel Accommodations (link)
Workshop Schedule (link)
African Marketplace | Vending (link)
KanKouran’s 33rd Annual National Conference and Concert was funded in part by The D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities and The D.C. Office on African Affairs.
KanKouran is supported in part by the D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities (an agency supported in part by The National Endowment for the Arts); the D.C. Mayor’s Office on African Affairs; George Washington University’s Lisner Auditorium; Howard University Department of Theatre Arts – Dance; Takeyah Young Consulting; and Howard University Television [WHUT] (media sponsor).
NOTE: Pre-registration will only be handled ONLINE. KanKouran will NOT offer discounts at the door. We are no longer offering 15% to groups of 5 or more that pre-register. To receive the discounted fees, you must register online in advance.
Classes are open, so you DO NOT need to select specific classes from the schedule. Class admittance is on a first come, first served basis.
Conference Site: Dance Exchange 7117 Maple Avenue, Takoma Park, MD 20912.
Fees (at the door) | General Admission: $20.00; Children (16 and under): $15.00
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 2
- Dance/Assane Konte (Djembe) 12:30pm-2:00pm
- Dance/Mabiba Baegne (Congolese) 2:15pm-3:45pm
- Dance/Salymatou Keita (Djembe) 4:00pm-5:30pm
- Dance/N’Deye Gueye (Sabar) 5:45pm-7:15pm
- Dance/Youssouf Koumbassa (Djembe) 7:30pm-9:00pm
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 3
- Dance/Mouminatou Camara (Djembe) 9:00am-10:30am
- Dance/Marie Basse-Wiles (Kutiro) 10:45am-12:15pm
- Drum/Fode Bangoura (Djembe) 11:30am-12:30pm
- Dance/Kadiatou Conte (Djembe) 12:30pm-2:00pm
- Drum/Fode Camara (Djembe) 1:00pm-2:00pm
- Dance/Babacar M’Baye (Sabar) 2:15pm-3:45pm
- Dance/Naomi Diouf (Liberian) 4:00pm-5:30pm
- 33rd ANNUAL CONCERT “DIAMONO” 8:00pm (Lisner)
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 4
- Drum/Medoune Yacine Gueye (Djembe) 9:00am-10:00am
- Dance/Youssouf Koumbassa (Djembe) 9:00am-10:30am
- Dance/N’Deye Gueye (Sabar) 10:45am-12:15pm
- Drum/Zak Diouf (Djembe) 11:00pm-12:00pm
- Dance/Mouminatou Camara (Djembe) 12:30pm-2:00pm
- Drum/Souleymane Diop (Kutiro) 12:30pm-1:30pm
- Dance/Idy Ciss (Sabar-Serer) 2:15pm-3:45pm
- Dance/Assane Konte (Kutiro) 4:00pm-5:30pm
- Dance/Mariama Basse (Balanta) 5:45pm-7:15pm
- Dance/Babacar M’Baye (Sabar) 7:30pm-9:00pm